Monday, June 17, 2013

Daybreak in the Jungle of Bangalore



It is 5:30 AM and I've been up all night drinking whiskey with Rajeev -- and chatting on Facebook with Disha in Africa, Jim in Mexico, others right here in Bangalore India and talking with Steve in NYC. Then something interesting happened.
Everyone left the terrace, I hung up my phone call and it was stunningly quiet. I lay there in the hammock, swinging slightly to a lovely breeze. I closed my eyes and suddenly heard a chorus of noises from the morning birds, which here in Bangalore really do sound like the sounds of the inner jungles.

Where ever I reside around the world, I tend to adapt rather easily to my surroundings and fall into a homey comfort. Even here in Bangalore, my first day I thought "I don't think I am going to like it here." It's almost a year later. I've exchanged my six-month tourist visa for a five-year business one, and have fallen into a comfortable slumber here. I have no idea how long I'll stay, but neither am I in any hurry to leave.

I've gotten comfortable. My eyes still closed, a shrill of birds wakes me from momentary slumber, and it reminds me, "Oh, yeah, I'm in INDIA."

No comments:

Post a Comment